Dancing My ABCs

Dancing through life as a principal…one alphabet letter at a time

Best Laid Plans

February11

Here comes the part that is one of the hardest things for educators, or anyone for that matter, to admit. Here it goes, I’m not meeting a goal. Phew. There I said it. At the start of this year, I wanted all of my goals to deal with the number 50 since my school district was turning 50 years old. I also wanted to blog more. I really do love to write and I thought by making it a goal to write 50 blog posts this would motivate me to make it happen. Alas here we are, February 11th and I have only written 2 out of the 50 posts.

I needed to ask for help. I reached out to the two other instructional coaches I work with and expressed frustration in this goal. The discussion of abandoning said goal came up but I just can’t wrap my mind around that. While I know sometimes you have to abandon things, my personality is to make it work. I might have to change the approach but I really want to make this goal happen. Especially this year. This year I am leading our Elementary Writing Instruction Committee and once a month expressing how important it is to be writer’s to model for our students. I need to walk the walk and talk the talk. I also really want to rekindle my love of blogging. I love to write and want to figure out what it is that caused my writer’s block.

One of the suggestions my teammates made was to think about structuring it in terms of small chunks. Think of the goal as chunks of time, so writing for 5 minutes straight every day for the next 50 days. That got me thinking, I could do that. I could reflect, chat, share for 5 minutes a day.

Today I am going to share a 5,4,3,2,1

5 Things that Made Me Smile this Week
-cutting out lamination for a teacher (seriously one of my absolute favorite things is cutting out lamination)
-discovering a bold new resume template (after letting 11 years pass without updating my resume, I make a point to revisit it every few months)
-finalizing a Google Drawing HyperDoc for evidence collection
-having reflective conversation about what I need to work on with my boss
-model writing lessons with a kindergarten class (when you need a pick me up in life,you visit a kindergarten classroom)

4 Words to Describe My Week
reflective, rewarding, prepared, tired

3 Things I Plan to Do This Weekend
-read something I enjoy
-play in the snow we are supposed to get with my boys
-get closer to finishing Season 1 of Friends

2 Things I Learned This Week
-another strategy to try when dealing with uncomfortable or difficult situations with a teacher
-it doesn’t hurt to try

1 Goal I Have For Next Week
write at least 5 more blog posts

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Categories

Twitter Feed

Recent Comments

Stefanie’s Bookshelf

Stefanie's bookshelf: currently-reading

The Girl Who Drank the Moon
tagged:
currently-reading

goodreads.com

Visitors

Skip to toolbar