Dancing My ABCs

Dancing through life as a principal…one alphabet letter at a time

The ChoppED Kitchen!

January18

It is no secret that I am a huge fan of The Food Network.  Not only do I learn a ton about food but I LIVE for the competition shows. I can’t wait to see whose dish will come out on top and how will they accomplish what appears to be impossible. How in the world can you combine broccoli, cake, and wild boar into a dish that tastes good? I seriously don’t know how they do it.

Imagine my utter delight when at the #FutureReady conference in Indianapolis, my love of Food Network and education combined forces! Along with my fellow instructional coaches, we participated in an educational version of the TV show Chopped. We had digital baskets of mystery ingredients. Each basket had a content standard, must have ingredients, a digital pantry, and a speed bump.  The pantry was filled with digital tools and the speed bumps were scenarios that we might run into while coaching teachers.  We had to transform these ingredients into a lesson involving the 4C’s: communication, collaboration, creativity, and critical thinking. It was awesome! It got my brain thinking of how I could use this with teachers.

Thus the ChoppED Faculty Meeting was born. An elementary administrator had reached out to me about wanting a tech focused meeting and wondered if I would be interested in leading it. My opportunity had arrived to bring ChoppED to my district. I immediately begin brainstorming how to make this work. I wanted teachers to be able to do the following:

1.) Get hands on experience using a tech tool (I chose Google Slides)
2.) Collaborate with their grade level teams on something they could then immediately turn around and use in their classroom
3.) Have access to other grade level’s lesson ideas
4.) Realize that Googles Slides can be used for so much more than just presenting. It can be interactive and collaborative.
5.) Discuss how they could use this activity with students

I then set to work creating my Slide Deck and planning out the costume hook I could use too. 🙂

Once assigned a mystery basket of ingredients, teachers could click on their basket that was linked to their slide within the slide deck. I also created a slide with our pantry of tools. They had to use at least two items from the pantry.

I tried to select tools that weren’t necessarily device specific. I also included a wild card.  This item allowed teachers to chose the tool they wanted which would hopefully open the door for them to share their expertise in using it.

Each grade level then had a recipe card with the content standard, must have items (two pantry items of their choice and 1 non digital item I threw in), and a speed bump. I chose an ELA focus standard that was in the same strand across grade levels.  This way teachers could see the build within the standard. The speed bump were scenarios that teachers potentially encounter every day and ranged from limited devices in the classroom, last minute assemblies, the need for more digital citizenship practice, and exit tickets revealing a reteach was necessary.

Teachers then had 20 minutes to transform these ingredients into an experience for their students. I absolutely couldn’t WAIT! I used Twitter to incorporate a teaser hook and had my costume and props already for the big day.

It was an absolute blast. My favorite part was watching teachers collaborate together. They were accessing new tech tools, discussing how to best meet the needs of all learners, communicating with art/ESL/special educators, AND running to classrooms to get their supplies to actually create what they wanted their students to create. While teachers were mastering the art of transforming their ingredients, I was able to float around to different groups and share features of Google Slides in the moment. They could then turn around and immediately try it.

At the end of the 20 minutes, teachers were able to look at everyone else’s ideas and celebrate strengths! They also had 6 complete lesson plans that they could use and/or tweak to fit their grade level.  Finally we wrapped up with a great discussion on how they could use this Chopped activity with their students. Oh my goodness it was so much fun. Here is the link to my Slide Deck: http://bit.ly/2JO76DS

As I reflect on how it went, there are a few things I would tweak. I want to make sure to tighten up my introduction to the activity, make sure to highlight something from each grade level group, and encourage them to dig deeper in terms how how they could use this with students.  I also realized that I now have a great insight to strengths of the staff and ideas for how I can support them in moving forward with technology. A big shout out to the Future Ready conference for inspiring this activity!

It just goes to show that sometimes 20 minutes, a few tech tools, and a collaborative team is all you need to transform a good lesson into a great one!

2 Comments to

“The ChoppED Kitchen!”

1. April 11th, 2018 at 10:01 am      Reply Kari Says:

Would you be willing to share your slidedeck that you used? I love this idea. I am just curious what is in each of those baskets?

Thanks for this cool idea.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Categories

Twitter Feed

Recent Comments

Stefanie’s Bookshelf

Stefanie's bookshelf: currently-reading

The Girl Who Drank the Moon
tagged:
currently-reading

goodreads.com

Visitors

Skip to toolbar