Dancing My ABCs

Dancing through life as a principal…one alphabet letter at a time

Phonics Instruction

September30

Phonics instruction started out as something I found very difficult to teach. I thought it was dry, to simple, and often forgotten right after it was taught. I noticed I was teaching these skills in isolation and I needed to infuse it into everyday routines. I wanted students to be immersed in phonics and see these types of words in books and all around them.  After trying several methods, reflecting, and then tweaking to fit the needs of my students, I feel phonics has now not only become a more enjoyable skill for me to teach, but it has become more meaningful!

Every week in second grade we have a new phonics pattern to learn. Each day there is a 10-15 minute mini lesson that focuses on how that pattern sounds and how it is spelled. We do a word sorts, missing letters, discuss patterns, and learn rules (if they apply). Throughout the week students are then encouraged to look for these words during guided reading, independent reading, and/or any other time throughout the day. Once they find a word, they can write it on a card to be placed in our phonics chart. This chart then serves as a word wall and students are encouraged to use this as a resource during their writing time! 

At the end of the week, since my school is the Dunlap Grade School Royals, I crown the Phonics King and the Phonics Queen of the week. They get $50 in Pitzer Cash and all participants receive $10 in Pitzer cash. The card must have the word spelled correctly and their name must be on it, in order for it to count.

I find it extremely important for students to have multiple opportunities to see these types of words in their reading environment.  Every week we reread our big book and go on word hunts throughout our classroom/school. All of these words are then added to our reader’s notebook. This serves as an excellent resource during our writer’s workshop time or any other time we need help spelling a word. After our study is complete, students are expected to this pattern correctly during independent writing.

I am always looking for ways to infuse our phonics/word study no matter the subject or time of day. The longer I teach the easier it is for this to be more conversational. What are some ways you have had success with phonics instruction?

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Categories

Twitter Feed

Recent Comments

Stefanie’s Bookshelf

Stefanie's bookshelf: currently-reading

The Girl Who Drank the Moon
tagged:
currently-reading

goodreads.com

Visitors

Skip to toolbar